On August 14, 2023, 1770 Reef launched MV Musgrave Magic, a glass-bottom boat, purpose-built to service Lady Musgrave Island, QLD, Australia. With excellent water clarity year-round, due to cooler water temperatures, and being located 32 nautical miles from mainland Australia, Lady Musgrave Lagoon is the idyllic place to partake in a glass bottom boat coral viewing.
MV Musgrave Magic was officially launched by Betty Mergard and Stephen Bennett, Member for Burnett, along with family members, invited members of the community and day tour guests.
The launch of the glass-bottom boat is a huge achievement for 1770 Reef owners, crew and staff. MV Musgrave Magic will increase the crew’s ability to share the importance and intricacies of the Great Barrier Reef ecosystem with guests. 1770 Reef Operations Manager and Head Skipper Isaac Ashton said at the launch “The reason a custom glass-bottom boat was built is to improve our guest experience on the reef, with more windows and custom designed to access the island. 1770 Reef is passionate about sharing how the reef is integrated with the ocean and the land, and how the many species interact to create the delicate reef eco system. Our new glass bottom boat allows our crew to better share their knowledge with guests.”
For further information on any of GAPDL’s projects, programs and services please visit www.gladstoneregion.info email firstname.lastname@example.org or facebook www.facebook.com/gapdlgladstone
MV Musgrave Magic Features:
- Double glass windows along the centre of the vessel;
- Audio system to amplify reef commentary;
- Build to allow accessibility and maneuverability for guests around the vessel;
- Ramp and rail from the bow of the vessel, to facilitate easier boarding and disembarking;
- Open sided design, allowing uninterrupted views across the lagoon and of Lady
Musgrave Island itself;
- Designed by Andrew McDonald and built by Hull Boat Building in Hervey Bay;
- Shallow draft of only 120mm, to easily drop passengers to the beach of Lady Musgrave to explore the island;
- Two 60hp Mercury engines, capable of reaching up to 8 knots, supplied and fitted locally by Adrian’s Marine in Bundaberg.
About 1770 Reef
1770 Reef – Great Barrier Reef Eco Tours, operates daily to Lady Musgrave Island, departing from the closest access point of Agnes Water/ Town of 1770. Lady Musgrave Island boasts the only navigable lagoon on the Great Barrier Reef, ensuring calm conditions to explore the Island and Lagoon as well as year-round snorkeling and wildlife encounters. Day tours are all inclusive, including a glass-bottom boat coral viewing, guided island walk, snorkeling (with equipment provided), lunch, morning and afternoon tea. 1770 Reef is family-owned and a proud advanced eco-certified company, passionate about sustainability and providing family friendly expertise on the Southern Great Barrier Reef. For more information on 1770 Reef and Lady Musgrave Island visit our website: www.1770reef.com.au.